Sandstone Ruins Digital Painting In Gimp
I’ve been trying to level-up my environment painting skills with this digital painting of some sandstone ruins.
The process I followed was built upon the small canvas approach I experimented with during my last post.
- I started with a small canvas (638 x 309 pixels) and painted the sky on it’s own layer and then the distant background on it’s own layer:
- Next I blocked in the foreground:
- Still on the small canvas, I built up some detail:
- Then I scaled the whole image up by 300% to 1914 x 927 pixels to add more detail. This is where putting in some effort to find the right textured brush saved me a bit of effort:
- I worked me way around the image gradually building up detail until I was happy to call the painting finished: