Here are the female faces from the last 2 nights. I’ve been experimenting with different face shapes. I like the chin on the last one.
I’m switching over to character design practice for a while now (starting off with female faces).
In this one I wanted to learn how be a bit more dramatic with lighting, hence the shaft of light on her face.
Her mouth looks a bit odd to me so I think I might hunt down some mouth drawing exercises.
I’m still on the mission to improve my art but have been trying to focus on subjects that are related to the project (dark temples, steampunk pistols and the like).
Tasks completed over the last 4 weeks:
Tasks to be completed over the next 4 weeks:
OK so now I’ve got a flintlock pistol under my belt (not literally but you know what I mean). Hopefully that’ll help me do steampunk weaponry for my digital comic project.
In case you’re interested, I used this image as a reference: http://gunsofold.com/images/washington_flintlock.jpg
Tonight I’ve finished off this study by doing the water. Again the Shaddy Safadi tutorials gave me a real boost here.
I learned some really useful techniques for rendering rock faces and water in this study:
I wasn’t happy with the basalt rock so I watched a few tutorials by Shaddy Safadi (this guy is awesome) and then went back to the blocking in stage and started again from there.
I’ve added more detail to my basalt island study.
I tried different techniques to getting in the myriad imperfections on the rock face – from using a textured brush to putting on each imperfection one stroke at a time.
I found that putting on one stroke at a time gave more realistic results but was really time consuming!