Project JKF-1: Time For Tea Cover WIP 1

I’m finally starting to get moving on the short story project with John Fulton.

Here is an in progress update on the first book cover, I’m probably 50% of the way through it.  The colour block-ins are done, next come the details.

Here are some thumbnails:

Time For Tea Cover Thumbs

A 3D layout I did in Blender to help with perspective and lighting:

Layout4D2small

The underpainting and line drawing:

TimeForTeaCover1

The colour block-in and some early detailing and this is as far as I’ve gotten at the moment:

TimeForTeaCover2

Muscular Male Figure Study In Clip Studio Paint

Felt compelled to do a figure study the other night as I’d been focused on other art for a while:

FigureStudy2

Here’s the reference photo of John Cena:

There’s a few accuracy issues with this.  Once I started rendering I stopped putting in the effort to be accurate, something to improve on for next time.

On the upside, as I was painting, I found that my recent bumblings with traditional media has had an effect on the way I painted – I think this looks more painterly than my previous digital paintings.

Also I’m getting more familiar with Clip Studio Paint (formerly Manga Studio).