Tonight I’ve finished off this study by doing the water. Again the Shaddy Safadi tutorials gave me a real boost here.
- On a separate layer with just the water area selected, I brushed in the water highlights:
- Then I created a water accents layer and brushed in the accents (darker areas):
- Using Gimp’s Bristles 01 brush for painting in and erasing out, I built up the wave details:
I learned some really useful techniques for rendering rock faces and water in this study:
- Block in with a solid brush.
- Use separate layers for block-in, highlights and accents.
- Use textured brushes to then refine the highlights and accents.
- For doing waves, first put in strong confident strokes and then chop them up into individual waves.
I wasn’t happy with the basalt rock so I watched a few tutorials by Shaddy Safadi (this guy is awesome) and then went back to the blocking in stage and started again from there.
- Initial block-in:
2. Blocking in the accents:
3. Using Lock Alpha Channel with a textured brush (Acrylic 2) to give the accents some texture:
4. Blocking in the highlights:
5. Locking Alpha Channel and using a textured brush on the highlights:
6. I tried to add a bit more texture to the accents layer with a large textured brush and a selection around the rock island only:
I’ve added more detail to my basalt island study.
I tried different techniques to getting in the myriad imperfections on the rock face – from using a textured brush to putting on each imperfection one stroke at a time.
I found that putting on one stroke at a time gave more realistic results but was really time consuming!
I tried to make the temple look like it was made of basalt (a dark volcanic rock apparently).
I experimented with a new texturing process:
- Using a textured brush (one of Gimp’s built-in acrylic brushes), I painted onto a separate layer.
- Using the eraser tool on the texture layer, I cut the texture down to fit the shape of the temple.
- I then switched on Lock Alpha Channel for the texture layer and painted light and dark areas with a large brush.
Not sure I like the design of the windows – I was wanting something more gothic.
Anyway I think I’ll leave this one for now and get on with some landscape studies next.