I’ve completed the Time For Tea cover for John Fulton and emailed it to him for approval. Hopefully the formatting etc … is correct.
This piece took me a lot longer than anticipated but has allowed me to cobble together the beginnings of a workflow.
Next will be a greyscale painting for the interior of the story.
Not being convinced about the composition, I’ve reworked this piece a bit by flipping it horizontally and also removing the teaspoon.
Also, the lighting is now darker and more yellow instead of orange.
I’m finally starting to get moving on the short story project with John Fulton.
Here is an in progress update on the first book cover, I’m probably 50% of the way through it. The colour block-ins are done, next come the details.
Here are some thumbnails:
A 3D layout I did in Blender to help with perspective and lighting:
The underpainting and line drawing:
The colour block-in and some early detailing and this is as far as I’ve gotten at the moment:
Felt compelled to do a figure study the other night as I’d been focused on other art for a while:
Here’s the reference photo of John Cena:
There’s a few accuracy issues with this. Once I started rendering I stopped putting in the effort to be accurate, something to improve on for next time.
On the upside, as I was painting, I found that my recent bumblings with traditional media has had an effect on the way I painted – I think this looks more painterly than my previous digital paintings.
Also I’m getting more familiar with Clip Studio Paint (formerly Manga Studio).