Further progress on my eComic Concept Art in Manga Studio. I reckon I’ve finished the line work now, next will come the flat colours.
Project ADC-1 Concept Art. Did some fine tuning, added a speech bubble and added a background. I will leave this painting now and move on.
I’ve done some more work on this map:
- Added a Neon Glow around some of the continent names to improve readability.
- Added a grid.
- Added a scale.
- Added a border.
- Added the world name: Undomea.
This is the world that my first digital comic (eComic) will be set in. And yes, the oceans are going to be purple!
Project ADC-1 Concept Art. I switched off the pencil layer, blended in the colour blocks and did some more detailed painting.
Project ADC-1 Concept Art. I’ve blocked in the colours for the Benevolen concept. In Manga Studio, I started with the brush tool and then found that the pen tool lays down colour more evenly – which is what I wanted for blocking in.
OK here’s a character concept sketch of the main protagonist in my digital comic. Using a reference photo, I worked in Manga Studio 5 with a Wacom graphics tablet. This represents around 40 minutes of sketching for me.
For a while now I’ve been aware of Manga Studio – a digital art package that seemed to be more geared towards comics creation than other art packages. I’d even made a mental note to download the trial version and give it a go. However the other day, a friend of mine told me that it was currently on sale with a whopping 70% off the list price!
Anyway I’m now sitting here having just bought the digital download and installed it 🙂
I’ve given it a quick test drive and initial results are exciting! The pressure sensitivity feels really good, the tools I’ve tried give such a beautifully natural result, especially the paint brush – I love the way it smears your colours as if your brush were really running over wet paint – fantastic! That’s £12 well spent right there 🙂 Can’t wait to try more.
I carried on with the painting I started on Thursday. I can’t really call this a speed painting any more because the total time spent on it is now around 2 hours. I’m struggling with his face a bit – the bridge of his nose it too prominent – I think I need to practice on a few more reference photos. On the upside I found a better Gimp setting for the Wacom tablet – I have better pressure sensitivity now 🙂