Tag Archives: JKF-1

Project JKF-1: Cold Black Heart Cover

I’ve just submitted the second piece for my collaboration with John Fulton.  The front cover for his story “Cold Black Heart”.

I’m trying to establish a slick workflow which at the moment looks like this:

  1. Receive the project brief.
    1. This step just involved reading the story and revisiting John’s requirements.
  2. Do research relating to the brief.
    1. For this I looked up medical diagrams of the human heart.
  3. Do thumbnails to brainstorm compositions.
    1. Just for fun, I decided to do the thumbnails in traditional acrylic paint: ThumbNails
  4. Select the best composition.
    1. I selected the first composition.
  5. Gather visual references related to the selected composition.
    1. I gathered visual references of women’s faces with what I felt were cold, distant expressions.
  6. Do construction studies.
    1. I skipped this step.
  7. Do perspective studies.
    1. I skipped this step.
  8. Do value studies.
    1. I performed this step in traditional acrylics again: ValueStudy
  9. Do colour studies.
    1. I skipped this step since there would be minimal colour.
  10. Do the main illustration.
    1. Here’s where I switched to working digitally in Clip Studio Paint: Cold Black Heart 1 Cold Black Heart 2A Small Cold Black Heart 3 Small Cold Black Heart 7 Small
  11. Take a break.
    1. I had a couple of nights off.
  12. Final finishing details.
    1. Here’s the final that I submitted to John: Cold Black Heart Cover Final Small

Project JKF-1: Time For Tea Cover Submitted For Approval

I’ve completed the Time For Tea cover for John Fulton and emailed it to him for approval.  Hopefully the formatting etc … is correct.

TimeForTeaCover7AFinalSmall

This piece took me a lot longer than anticipated but has allowed me to cobble together the beginnings of a workflow.

Next will be a greyscale painting for the interior of the story.

Project JKF-1: Time For Tea Cover WIP 2

Not being convinced about the composition, I’ve reworked this piece a bit by flipping it horizontally and also removing the teaspoon.

Also, the lighting is now darker and more yellow instead of orange.

TimeForTeaCover5A

 

Project JKF-1: Time For Tea Cover WIP 1

I’m finally starting to get moving on the short story project with John Fulton.

Here is an in progress update on the first book cover, I’m probably 50% of the way through it.  The colour block-ins are done, next come the details.

Here are some thumbnails:

Time For Tea Cover Thumbs

A 3D layout I did in Blender to help with perspective and lighting:

Layout4D2small

The underpainting and line drawing:

TimeForTeaCover1

The colour block-in and some early detailing and this is as far as I’ve gotten at the moment:

TimeForTeaCover2

Box Modelling An Anthropomorphic Rabbit In Blender

I’ve been 3D modelling an anthropomorphic rabbit for my project with John Fulton.

Here are a few process screenshots:

RabbitModel1

RabbitModel2

RabbitModel3

RabbitModel4

I learned a couple of nifty tricks in Blender doing this:

  1. Edge Slide:  This allows you to select an edge loop and slide it along the geometry without affecting the overall shape.  Here’s the Blender documentation on it:  https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/meshes/editing/edges.html
  2. Rip:  This allows you to rip a mesh along  seam, sounds easy to do but without this feature you would have to duplicate vertices and edges.  Here’s the Blender documentation for it:  https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/meshes/editing/vertices.html

Acrylic Painting 2: Labrador Puppy

Here’s my second painting in acrylics, a labrador puppy.

I heard that at Watts Atelier, they have their students paint monochromatically to begin with so I thought I’d give that a go.

PuppyInAcrylics1 PuppyInAcrylics2 PuppyInAcrylics3

My First Acrylic Painting: Rabbit In The Grass

I’ve been meaning to try my hand at painting using a traditional medium such as acrylic paint for some time now.

I finally took the plunge and whilst I’m not completely happy with the result, I did really enjoy myself!

 

RabbitInAcrylics1I started with a medium grey background and then did an initial colour block-in.

 

RabbitInAcrylics2 I then decided that my colours were completely wrong and did another colour block-in over the top.  I tried to use an impasto (thick paint) technique as this seemed like fun, and it was!

 

RabbitInAcrylics3Here I added a little more detail over the blocks of paint.

 

RabbitInAcrylics4I struggled to get the right tonal variation whilst working with variation in colour as well here but I am calling this done and moving on.  It’s so much easier working digitally since you can just set the value slider to get the right tones for the selected colour.  Here I will have to learn how to mix paint physically!

Project JKF-1: Rabbit Pencil Sketches on 2nd Feb 2017

I’ve been doing some more rabbit studies for my project with John Fulton.

I had a quick look at the skeletal structure – I didn’t realise that a rabbit’s scapulae came so far round the side and forward to the front!  Every day’s a school day!

RabbitPencilSketches1

 

Project JKF-1: Kettle Design Using 3D Modelling In Blender

After reading about how James Gurney uses miniature models to help him work out lighting, I thought I would try something similar in the digital realm.

Here is a kettle design for a project with my author friend John Fulton.

It was done as a 3D model in Blender using it’s ray tracing render engine (Cycles) which calculates how light rays behave in the real world.

Kettle3B