Basalt Island Digital Painting Study Part 4
Tonight I’ve finished off this study by doing the water. Again the Shaddy Safadi tutorials gave me a real boost here.
- On a separate layer with just the water area selected, I brushed in the water highlights:
- Then I created a water accents layer and brushed in the accents (darker areas):
- Using Gimp’s Bristles 01 brush for painting in and erasing out, I built up the wave details:
I learned some really useful techniques for rendering rock faces and water in this study:
- Block in with a solid brush.
- Use separate layers for block-in, highlights and accents.
- Use textured brushes to then refine the highlights and accents.
- For doing waves, first put in strong confident strokes and then chop them up into individual waves.